South Bay Homeschool Network

Home Page Calendar Get Started Filing a PSA FAQs Statistics Parks

Getting Started

The information in these pages has been compiled from various sources including newsletters, magazines and the internet. It is not necessarily a complete list of resources, programs or contacts, and it is not intended to be legal advice.


California Education Code calls for compulsory attendance for children between the ages of 6 and 18.  If your child turns 6 by September 1st of this school year, they must be enrolled in a public school or receiving an education through alternative means. Alternatives to public school enrollment are:

  • Create your own home based private school. Check out our PSA filing information page for more information.
  • Enroll in a private school offering a private satellite program (PSP). Ask on the SBHN online forums for referrals. 
  • Enroll in a public school independent study program.  Ask on the SBHN online forums for referrals to programs like these in your area. 
  • Hire a tutor who holds a valid California state credential. You can check with local tutoring centers or online tutoring services to find a tutor with the correct credential for your age/grade. 

If your child is having trouble in public school and you would like to find resources within the public school system to assist you, we have compiled a list of contact information for the South Bay and surrounding areas. These are not all homeschool resources. They are continuation and alternative schools and counseling services for the South Bay. Public School and Community Resources.


Relevant California Education Code Sections

33190 -Filing an affidavit.

33191 -Certificate that must be included in the affidavit

44237 -Fingerprinting/Criminal Record Checks

48200 -Compulsory Full-Time Education

48220 -Exemptions to Compulsory Education

48222 -Attendance records, instruction in English

48010 -Age of entry into first grade

48224 -Tutoring rules

48321.5 -District cannot subpeona records

48412 -California High School Proficiency Exam

48800 -Concurrent enrollment in Community College 

49068 -Cumulative files

49110 -Work permits

51210 -Branches of Study

51220 -Areas of Study grades 7-12

51220.5 -Parenting Course Requirements grades 7-8

51221 -Social Science Requirements

5122251223 -Physical Education Requirements

51225.3 -High School Requirements

51745 -Temporary Independent

51852 -Driver's Education 

56174 -Public school does not have to provide special ed to private schools


More Relevant Laws

HSC 121525 -TB Testing

HSC 120325-120380 -Immunizations

HSC 13143 -Only assemblies. such as educational assemblies, with 50 or more students require a fire inspection

EDC 35296 -Only schools with 50 or more students must implement an earthquake plan

Helpful information for very young children -under 4 years and 9 months old:

CCR Title 22, Division 12, Chapter 1  - California Code of Regulations Licensing Rules for Young Children



Helpful information for Teens on work permits, drivers ed, transcripts, graduation,diplomas:

 HomeSchool Association of California Teen Page

California Homeschool Network Teen Page 

Drivers Ed Forms 



Special Education mention of the "home schooled"

 Education Code Section 56346g